Cristofori

Rogerio Cunha rogeriocunha@openlink.com.br
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:12:56 -0300

Hello Ane and Robert. Now the history of the Pianoforte. I found it some =
years ago in a old house without strings, with the action in parts and =
out of the piano. I was surprised and this was the first time that I was =
in front of a wonderful piece but in a very bad condition.
The first thing that  I did was to send a Fax to PTG and ask for someone =
that could give me more information about it and the only thing that I =
could read on it was the year, the name of GAMBIAZO, who makes it, and =
some numbers on the bridge 6/0, 5/0, etc.etc
The PTG send me a fax with the phone number of Ray Chandler (RTP). I =
talk with him and he said me that was important speak with JONH KOSTER , =
Conservator & Associate Professor of Museum Science of South Dakota =
University. To him  I send a video, photos, a map with the speaking =
length of the strings. From him I received a letter and on it he said =
that was a very important piece and that because the string of each end =
was double and that seems be originally a harpsichord and that the =
Shrine To Music Museum  have one piece just like the mine made by =
Antunes but that the action of the mine isn't a Cristofori and that is a =
action of the mine is more primitive than the piano actions made by =
other Portuguese makers in the 1760s. After I was visited by Mr..Gerard =
Doderer, a German that lives in Portugal, and Mr.. Von Der Meer another =
German that was over the pianoforte about one week and that said me that =
is was a harpsichord converted in a pianoforte and they included this =
pianoforte on the book about early Portuguese harpsichords and pianos. =
This book says that the instrument that I have is a authentic one!
After this I think that the goal of my life as a piano tuner and =
technician is to construct a Cristofori action to it. Would be possible? =
I think that yes because in piano we may do everything.Rogerio Cunha - =
IC Member of the PTG - Rio - Brasil