Weighty Problem

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:02:44 -0500

Do I remember correctly that the U1's capstans are on wire "stalks"?  If
so, you can bend them just a little off-center front-to-back relative to
the whippen to alter the touch without a lot of fuss.  I believe that if
you bent the stalks towards the player, it would add apparent weight to the
action.  There will be a little regulating to do afterwards, but it should
be relatively minor.  If the result is not what you wanted, it's easy to
set things back the way they were.

I saw this demonstrated by one of the Steinway guys at a convention.  The
change in touchweight was verified by a set of weights he just happened to
have in his pocket.

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net