Improving Upright Dynamics & Repetition,Butt Springs

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 19:37:18 -0500

,At 10:55 AM 3/12/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Butt springs should be even.  Butt springs have very little leverage,
>but they are very important for repitition.

For a chapter technical last year, I tried a touchweight experiment on a
vertical action model(Sohmer?). The variables were 1)hammer weight,
2)Flange friction, and 3)Return spring strength. Substituting a 12 gr. bass
hammer for a 6 gr. treble hammer increased downweight by 6 grams.
Substituting a 'one swing' hammer flange for a 'perpetual motion machine'
flange increased downweight by 6 grams. Increasing hammer return spring
strength from negligible to maximum, by bending only, increased downweight
by 17!!! yes that's right 17!!! grams. It might be pretty hard to
accidentally bend a spring for maximum strength, though they actually look
close when first installed on a rail. I'm sure this experiment would yield
different results on different actions, but I think the concept would
remain. Return springs have a lot of influence on touchweight. I hope this
info helps. I would hate to see someone reweight keys after a action
reconditioning when 5 minutes with a Hart spring tool wuld fix the
problem.:-)    Ken Jankura, RPT