HT's

John Woodrow woodroj@syvax.email.dupont.com
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 21:17:40 +1100

List,
Just finished my way through "Tuning" by Owen Jorgensen.  What am
impressive piece of work, and a credit to the man.

Anyhow, got some loose thoughts on the subject of HT's that I thought the
list may like to critique for me.  I have no strong feeling  to these ideas
so openly welcome any opinion.  I have no scientific facts for any of these
ideas, just impressions.

I know many may think that HT's is a subject that has been done to death,
but I have tried to tackle this issue in my own mind from a different angle.

PIANOS
The upright or vertical piano must make up 80% or more of the pianos in
use.  Most of these uprights appear to fall into 2 groups, full size
uprights built sometime prior to WWII, and studio size Asian pianos built
in the last 20 years.  Most of the pre WWII group a now getting a bit run
down, and most of the newer Asian group are at best of medium quality.

Simple Conclusion: The vast majority of pianos in use and being tuned can
use all the help they can to sound good.

PIANO PLAYERS
The vast majority of piano players would only be of an middle intermediate
level or less.  Little, if any, of their repertoire is in a key containing
more than 3 or more sharps or flats.

Simpler and unscientific conclusion: The vast majority of people NEVER play
in the 'advanced keys'.

OTHER FACTORS
Of the number of pianos being played, only a tiny percentage would ever be
played in conjunction with another instrument.  Most musicians have only
the faintest idea if the piano is 'in tune'.  As long as unisons and
octaves are OK, they don't care all that much about the rest (OK calm down,
this is only meant to be half serious).

HYPOTHESIS
Putting all the above together, the vast majority of the piano market
comprises 'ordinary' piano's being played alone in a home situation,
playing relatively simple material in the keys of F,C,G,Bb,Eb etc.

So after reading Jorgensesn's work I am left asking myself "what is the
best tuning for the average customer" (average defined above).  Will the
improved harmony in the simpler keys in a Victorian or other HT, bring out
the best in what is being played on the average home piano?  Could this
really be the right solution for maximizing the musical experience of the
'average' player?

Look forward to any comments.

Regards,
John Woodrow