stage piano troubles

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:25:52 -0700

At 09:57 AM 3/13/98 -0500, Clair wrote:

>chapter) but I went to a Willie Nelson concert last night and want to tell
>you what happened and ask for guesses:
>
>On stage was a Steinway grand on loan from the local symphony orchestra.
>>From that point on, a total of three dif. people crawled under the piano
>and,lying on their backs, fiddled with something on the bottom approx jsut
>inside the area of the big curve (as seen from above). Each of the three
>did this a number of times during the concert. And, you never could really
>hear the piano--what on earth was going on? And even one time, it sounded
>like a big toy piano.

They were trying to fix a bad connection on some kind of microphone under
the piano. From the description it would have been a PZM (pressure-zone
microphone) or C-Tape, a sticky-tape contact microphone.

If it sounded like a toy piano it was probably C-tape.

			John

John Musselwhite, RPT  - Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com - http://www.cadvision.com/musselj/