Juice du Jour (Lubricants for Action Centers)

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:02:08 -0800

Zen,

My take on the points in your query:

1. Tangle of Threads. Well put - fits the topic very well I'd say!
2. Alcohol and Water cause the wool bushing to get looser. The wool
swells and is molded while wet, then it shrinks away from the pin when
it dries back out. Susan gave a good description of this. The alcohol
acts as the wetting agent, as well as a thinner for the water - in other
words, the less water in the mix, the less "shrinking" affect on the
bushing. Using pure alcohol will do little or nothing to the fit, unless
it happens to wash something out of the bushing.
3. Naphtha does not displace water as far as I know, but the silicone
might. Really, it works better at keeping water out - so if the parts
are dried really well, and then treated with Naphtha and Silicone, the
bushing will be slippery and the silicone will resist the return of the
water. The Naphtha is a thinner and carrier for the silicone, plus it
can clean the cloth a bit.

Please note - Silicone creeps, and likes to walk away from the action
center. Although I have never found an affordable way to prove this, I
suspect that this is the reason that the parts don't stay slippery for
ever - the silicone becomes less effective as it spreads itself out
through the action.

4. Pro-tec is a good thing to make the parts slippery. So far it seems
like a stable material, but the sluggish parts I have tried it on went
tight again after a year or so.

5. Other wetting agents: Why use anything else when the alcohol works so
well? Soap works, but it also leaves soap in the cloth.

Finally, keep in mind that action centers go tight for lots of reasons,
and the only way to free them up with real assurance is to take them
apart, correct problems (bulging bushings, tight forks, you get the
idea), ream / burnish and put a new pin in.  Anything else will leave
the potential of a returning problem, and perhaps more importantly will
not give you the even friction from note to note that a good repining
job can.

Don Mannino RPT

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available