confession HT

Marcel Carey mcpiano@microtec.net
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 23:05:25 -0500

Message en plusieurs parties et au format MIME.

I must confess that today, I used HT for the first time. The piano was a =
small Currier spinet. The kind I usually don't enjoy tuning. From =
observing the music sheets that were laying around on the piano, I could =
tell the piano was used by beginners, probably children. Using RCT, I =
just measured the piano's inharmonicity, and then using the tools, =
converted the tuning to a "victorianized 1/7 comma well" (usning the =
numbers given by Bill Bremmer on this list on a previous post). I didn't =
know what to expect, since I had never done HT by ear. After tuning the =
temperament section, I tried my usual test. The temperament sounded =
weard. I kept on tuning using RCT exclusively, did a second pass and =
then played on the piano. I was surprised. Never before had I heard this =
type of piano sound so good.=20

Thanks to the list for giving me the courage to try this. I will keep on =
trying. I spoke with a professor at the university and he has agreed to =
let me do a blind test for temperament tuning on the two pianos in the =
faculty small concert hall. I will let you know how thing come out. I =
wonder what HT I should use though. If any of you have suggestions, =
PLEASE let me know.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC