confession HT

A440A A440A@aol.com
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:30:16 EST

Marcel writes:

<<I spoke with a professor at the university and he has agreed to let me do a
blind test for temperament tuning on the two pianos in the faculty small
concert
hall. I will let you know how thing come out. I wonder what HT I should use
though. If any of you have suggestions, PLEASE let me know.>>

      GREAT!!!  This is the sort of thing that makes the difference in the
temperament crusade, and causes the tech to be regarded as more scholarly.
      For introductions, I have found that the Young or Kirnberger III(Prinz)
allows you to illustrate tonality without getting so far out that you lose the
noviate.  Starting with the Young also allows somewhere to go when they want
to get farther into the genre,  and its regularity of increasing dissonance is
a good format for discussing where modulations  go and why.
      Equally important is that the first music played on these temperaments
be very supportable.  For me, this means pre-Chopin to start, though one of my
artists has now decided that Brahms goes better with key-color, etc.  (Which I
approve of for the simple reason that here we have a musician  making musical
judgements on the sound they are producing instead of the historical reasons.)
     Good luck, Marcel,  if you don't push, but rather, let Mozart and
Beethoven and Bach do your work for you, you will be seen as a bringer of
gifts, shedding new light and sound on music.  Please keep us informed of the
progress.  (this is also the time for the cleanest unisons you are capable
of!!
Regards,
Ed Foote
( I guess this is exciting to me, because it is in the schools that we will
see the hegemony of equal temperament forced to fight for its continuation. )