Silicone creep

BSimon1234 BSimon1234@aol.com
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 21:22:22 EST

Don Mannino RPT wrote:
<<Please note - Silicone creeps, and likes to walk away from the action
center. Although I have never found an affordable way to prove this>>

It has been done! - I once knew a company that made built-up fiberglass parts
in moulds. They began having an unacceptable parts failure rate and though it
might be a silicone mold release used in another part of the building
contaminating the parts. They put an invisible  dye into the silicone that
glowed bright purple when exposed to ultraviolet light. A week later, at
night, they shut the lights off and went around seeing what "glowed". Darn
near everything that workers touched, glowed. It was found that a little on a
workers hands was carried and deposited on everything he touched, which was
picked up by others and deposited elsewhere, etc. Silicone residue was
everywhere, and everywhere where it was not supposed to be, and in the
recently made bad parts. They did a major washdown of surfaces, bought some
new equipment to replace contaminated, and stopped using the silicone.  The
parts failures stopped.

I have also wondered just how well can one glue parts back together that have
been "lubricated" with silicone. I don't think they glue very well at all.

Bill Simon
Phoenix