Heavy pedal

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Mon, 16 Mar 98 00:01:33

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 07:54:08 EST, Wimblees wrote:

>>I service a  12 year old Steinway M at a local church.    The complaint is
>>that the damper pedal is too "heavy",  or hard to depress.
>>The piano player thinks it has become more resistant  with time, especially
>>in the last month or two.
>>
>>I've removed the action to check the damper tray which moves freely; the
>>dowel through the key bed is not rubbing; removing the metal rod lets the
>>pedal drop freely; with the metal rod removed the wooden lever under the bed
>>also drops freely.  I even removed the coil spring that sits between the
>>wooden lever and the bed, which didn't make enough difference to satisfy.
>>
>>Any suggestions on how to lighten the pedal feel would be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Don Price
>>dcp@sosinc.net
>>

>Don:
>
>It has been my experience that Steinway damper pedals are always hard to
>depress. But make sure the bushings inside the lyre box are not worn out,
>causing excesive rubbing.
>
>Willem Blees  RPT
>St. louis

List,
	In my experience the Steinway pedal system does not have
nearly as much travel in it.  I've always found them adjusted as to
leave very little travel after the dampers are up.  That is to say no
extra motion because they are limited by both the upstop rail and the
pedal system too.  My guess is that this pianist is simply used to
spending more time on other pianos and then finds the Steinway
increasingly difficult to manage.  Just my 2 cents.
					Greg Newell
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte`
Lakewood, Ohio 44107