"Victorian" W.T. or Modified Meantone

Paul N. Bailey 103445.713@CompuServe.COM
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 06:56:53 -0500

Tom Cole,
        You could put these numbers in your Users Temperament file in RCT
and call it "Shining Brow". This is an earlier version of Bill Bremmers
Victorian Modified Meantone, as interpreted by myself. I have not yet
worked out a similar interpretation for Bill's most current VMMT.

I like the harmonic balance of this temperament because the thirds of
Db, Ab, Gb and B are distinctly larger than the other 8 thirds, and
this is as it should be. Db, Gb, Ab and B (actually, C#, G#, F# and
B)  are the "diminished fourth" keys of Meantone. These keys serve a
different harmonic purpose than the other 8 keys. It's an excellent
achievement to maintain this distinction within the confines of a
"Victorian" or mild well temperament.

           Cents Dev. from ET

c               4.4
b               -2.3
a#              1.3
a               -1.2
g#              0.3
g               1.7
f#              -2.7
f               3.1
e               -0.5
Eb              1.4
d               -0.3
c#              -0.4

...Some description of the "theoretical" major thirds and fifths,
so you will have some notion of what to expect as you're tuning :

The major thirds in cents and beats per second, from middle c
and descending one octave:

        cents   bps

c       8.8     6.7
b       17.4    12.4
a#      12.1    8.2
a       14.5    9.2
g#      17.8    10.7
g       9.7     5.5
f#      17.7    9.5
f       9.4     4.8
e       14.5    6.9
Eb      14.0    6.3
d       11.3    4.8
c#      17.2    6.9
c       8.8     3.3

The fifths, in cents narrow of just, and bps., from middle c
and descending one octave.

        cents    bps

c       4.7     2.11
b       2.4     1.01