HT's...a challenge

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:35:29 EST

<< Challenges and tune off's sound like a great idea. But are you willing to
consider all parameters?  ...(snip)  the voicing?    Also what two pianos are
to be used?  Well that shouldn't matter if you consider this test.
 	Tune one to ET and the other to an HT.  Play the same music on both. Have
the audience choose.  Now, retune the HT piano to ET and vice versa.  Then
have an audience choose again.  This it should be done by two tuners, one who
favors ET, and one who favors HT.
 Richard Moody  >>

I have no argument.  Two pianos which are as identical as possible should be
used.  Your idea of exchanging them is a good one.  I agree that a tuner who
believes in what he/she is doing should be used.  I encourage it, but I am
wary of someone who is trying an HT for the first time being the one who tunes
both the ET and the HT.  Still, if progress is to be made, those who have
never tuned HT's need to have some experience.

It would also be best for a musician(s) who are not tuners to play the music.
A good musician adapts to a piano.  The HT will make the piano sound different
and should make the musician play differently.  Tuners tend to just find what
they don't like and "bang" on it saying that it sounds "terrible".

Invite me to one of your recording sites, Richard and let a real artist and
the recording company decide.  Whose is better, yours or mine?  I pay for the
trip if mine is rejected.  If mine is chosen, I want my name on the label as
the technician.

Respectfully,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin