HT's

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 08:05:29 +0000

Richard Moody wrote:

> ----------
> > From: Michael Jorgensen <Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu>
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: Re: HT's
> > Date: Friday, March 13, 1998 1:30 AM
> >
> >.  Virtually all classical
> > period works were written in keys of four sharps or four flats or
> less.
> > (I'm sure someone will probably find an exception, please let me
> know
> > what work it is).
>
> "Rain Drop Prelude"  Chopin, Db maj. #15 .
>         This should be one of the basic playing requirement for those who
> want to be piano technicians.  (Because I can barely  play it)
>
> What HT would someone recommended for this?

Actually there are many dozens of serene works in the romantic period
written for keys with many sharps or flats.  I was refering of the
classical period which includes all of Haydn, Mozart, and likely much of
Beethoven.  As for which temperament to use for this work, I will not
rule a specific one without careful analysis of the music and historical
analysis of who and how Chopins' pianos were tuned or trying different
ones to see which sounds the most musical.  This changeover from
classical to romantic period does create a problem in trying to select a
good all around temperament for the entire common practice period.
-Mike Jorgensen