HT's

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 07:47:18 +0000

Hi Les,
    Your points are all well taken.  I was taught that "late period
Beethoven" is considered romantic, or atleast, some kind of a bridge
between the classical and romantic periods.  At the very least, he
predicts romanticism.  Whatever the case, Beethoven has a jovial sense
of humor, a twinkle in his eye, coupled with a melancholy dark side.
Many of his works contain emotional outbursts of radical dynamic
contrasts, ferociously stunning rythmic alterations creating a maelstrom
of mayhem, abrupt unexpected modulations, shocking his listeners "really
taking them for a ride".  The periods of serenity seem unstable as if
before a storm and typically the longer the calm, the more severe the
storm (if Beethoven can be predicted).  His musics' almost
semi-rebellious spirit is just the kind to pugnaciously delve into
ludicrous keys where beat speeds would be considered too wild.  Likely
he enjoyed antagonizing the classical music police of his day and
certainly no CMP could sleep through much of his music.
     The CMP are certainly out there, may I never be one of them.  Music
is there for fun and creativity.  If one wishes to transpose music and
play it, I certainly respect their ability to do it.  Composers likely
wrote their music in recommended keys because they knew that this would
have the right flavour for all the contrasting haromony and beat speeds.
Otherwise it would have been easier to write every thing in C and avoid
having to write a key signature.   Futhermore there is nothing
preventing a musician tuner from transposing a temperament.  Lately, I
have noticed classical pianists taking more liberties than twenty years
ago.  Perhaps this is in hope of avoiding being just like everyone else
with its' subsequent boredom.
-Mike Jorgensen