HT's

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 21:31:27 EST

<< Bill wrote:
 > Thank you for pointing this out, Mike.  You will notice, if you look at the
 > music, that the composers often wrote dynamic markings of "p", "pp", "ppp"
or
 > even more "p"'s sometimes.  These markings are often ignored by today's
 > pianists....

 ...True enuf, but markings like ppp in Schubert for instance mean use the
 moderator and probably the una corda as well...producing an ethereal
 sound that in unattainable on a modern piano. Any subtle beat effects
 related to temperament are not audible with these mutations in place.

 Stephen >>

It sounded quite "ethereal" to me.  The technician who prepared the piano
spent hours in soft pedal voicing and fine regulation alone.  The beat effects
were like a rapid, "bubbling" sound, clearly audible and of definite influence
on the pianist, according to his own remarks and as a consequence, on the
music.

Respectfully,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, WI