"Victorian" W.T. or Modified Meantone

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 01:52:37 -0600

----------
> From: Conrad Hoffsommer <hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: "Victorian" W.T. or Modified Meantone
> Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 7:46 AM
>
> Paul and others,
>
> At 06:56 3/16/98 -0500, you wrote:
>
> As a resident troglodite (i.e. strictly aural tuner) of this list,
I have a
> small question to ask.
>
> I look at this recipe for setting a tuning device and wrinkle my
brow a little.

> >           Cents Dev. from ET
> >
> >c               4.4
> >b               -2.3
> >a#              1.3
> >a               -1.2
> >g#              0.3
> >g               1.7
> >f#              -2.7
> >f               3.1
> >e               -0.5
> >Eb              1.4
> >d               -0.3
> >c#              -0.4
>
> At no point does it coincide with ET, nor does it coincide with any
known
> tuning standard such as A440Hz/A435Hz/C523.25Hz/C517.3Hz, etc.
> If I tune an HT from a fork or ETD generated A or C using aural
directions
> which produce the same temperament as above, it'll be different,
right?

When in doubt unless otherwise requested, ET is usually generated
from A440. Now if A is to be -1.2 cents flat, that would come out to
439.7.  Tuning from here according to the beats given should give the
temperament providing the calculations are correct, and they are
according to my spread sheet.   I _guess_ if you wanted 439.7 you
could hold an a440 fork  in our hand for 5.79 seconds.

Now why a temp is wanted with the middle C--G fifth beating at -2.1
(giving the fourth above, G--C5 at 4.2) I dunno.
Back to the cave?? With an eagle eye like that you should be perched
on a lofty craig above the great abyss.