devil's advocate

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 07:32:45

Stephen, is this book available? Has the English translation
been published?

Thanks.

Susan

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

At 08:41 AM 3/17/98 -0500, Stephen wrote:
>Read on, and note the date.
>I pass this on with no comment for now. (Bill Garlick are you there?)
>
>Stephen
>
>Montal, L'Art d'accorder soi-meme son piano
>Paris: Meissonnier, 1836).
>(Annotated translation excerpts courtesy of Sandra Rosenblum)
>
>Montal begins by discussing the tuning instructions in a number of recent
>books and describing the defect(s) of each. He states that there are two
>types of temperament: egal (moyen), which creates equality between the
>dozen half-steps of the scale, and inegale, in which some half-steps are a
>little different and which favors the purity [justesse] of certain keys to
>the detriment of others. In effect, he writes, the true purpose of
>temperament ought to be to apportion the alteration among the largest
>number of intervals possible in order to make it less perceptible. Today
>our pianists play unconcernedly in all the keys, thus equal temperament
>ought to be an absolute necessity. And composers follow their inspirations
>and write just as well in F-sharp as in F-natural, in D-flat and A-flat as
>well as in C and G-natural. Finally Montal acknowledges that he is happy
>to have made a special study of mathematics and of music before devoting
>himself to the art of tuning pianos, "for it is from the alliance of these
>three types of knowledge that I have deduced the reliable, straighforward,
>and easy method that I offer to the public today".
>
>Equal temperament consists of changing intervals by the same quantity in a
>manner that divides the octave into twelve equal half steps. This
>makes all the keys equally perfect or, rather, equally out of tune, for
>none ought to be exactly perfect, but only tolerable. According to
>montal's method, one learns the degree of alteration of major thirds
>necessary in equal temperament by tuning three successive major thirds
>equally, and just enough wider [forte] than than perfect, so that the top
>note forms a perfect octave with the bottom note. Four successive minor
>thirds must be made slightly narrow [faible] to accomodate then within a
>perfect octave.  If four successive fifths, starting on c1, are each tuned
>to be perfect, the top note of the series, e3, if lowered two octaves,
>would make too wide a major third with the bottom c1. Therefore, the
>fifths must be made narrow by lowering their top notes and this alteration
>must be equally apportioned so that the top and bottom notes of the series
>form a major third exactly as wide as those within an octave. Finally, for
>teaching purposes, this process is repeated with descending fifths, which
>are made narrow by raising thier lower notes.
>
>The progression for Montal's tuning is a series of descending fifths, with
>ascending octaves interspersed as needed to keep the setting of the
>temperament within the range f-b1. One tunes in succesion a1, the "lower"
> [...]
Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Time will end all my troubles, but I don't always
approve of Time's methods."
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant