HT's

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 23:53:24 -0600

> > ----------
> > > From: Michael Jorgensen <Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu>
> > > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > > Subject: Re: HT's
> > > Date: Friday, March 13, 1998 1:30 AM
> > >
> > >.  Virtually all classical
> > > period works were written in keys of four sharps or four flats
or
> > less.
> > > (I'm sure someone will probably find an exception, please let
me
> > know
> > > what work it is).
> >
> > "Rain Drop Prelude"  Chopin, Db maj. #15 .
> >         This should be one of the basic playing requirement for
those who
> > want to be piano technicians.  (Because I can barely  play it)
> >
> > What HT would someone recommended for this?
> >
> Actually there are many dozens of serene works in the romantic
period
> written for keys with many sharps or flats.
> -Mike Jorgensen

Serene is a good word for the "Raindrop."  I forgot what the words
are called that appear at the beginning of a piece like "Allegro" or
"Lento", but "Sostenuto" appears at the beginning of the Db maj. #15
Prelude. I don't think it is refering to the pedal.   Interesting to
note the next Prelude is marked Presto con Fuocco. It has the same
number of flats (5) but in the "relative minor" (Bb min), "the
darling of the virtuoso." (Quotes from Schrimer's edition.) There
also has to be a relation of key signature and velocity, as someone
has already suggested on this list.

While much has been made of Well Tempered Clavier being written in
the 24 keys, (48 all together) the 24 Chopin Preludes are also
presented starting in C then C min, then through the circle of fifths
ending in F and D min. It is reported that Chopin sold them to
Camille Pleyel..   It would be interesting to know if Pleyel
published the Preludes in this order, or if it was Chopin's idea.  A
great concern of these pioneer piano makers  was the tuning, in
particular a method that would allow pieces in all 24 keys to be
played on the same tuning.  If Pleyel had any intention of showcasing
these preludes on his pianos in a particular temperament, it would be
of greatest interest to tuners today.  Looking in Jorgensen there is
no mention of Pleyel in the index.  One would think Pleyel the maker
of pianos and publisher of piano music (that's what I call having
your cake and eating it to) might have something to say about piano
tuning. Hopefully he and others especially Bach did, and their notes
remain yet to be discovered.

Richard  Moody