Bridge Pins

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:24:25 -0700

Jon Page wrote:

> I would like to replace the bridge pins on an old Bechstein
> but the bridge pins do not match new pins available in catalogues.
>
> New sizes are .135, .109, .096, .086
> Bechstein:       .138, .114, .099, .091
>
> Are these metric sizes and if they are, where can I obtain them?
>
> Thanks,

Greetings Jon,

Three options come to mind:

1. How "old" is this instrument? If it is more than 75+ years of age,
(or younger if it is in rough shape), you might just want to consider
recapping the bridge using standard pin sizes. This would also give you
an oportunity to improve downbearing.

2. Try checking with Renner. In addition to their regular stocked
inventory for the U.S. market, they can also special order parts from
Germany. They might be able to get you the pins sizes that you need.

3. You might want to consider picking the closest American pin sizes and
epoxy them into the bridge. I recently submitted a post regarding my
proceedure and I know many others have discussed this as well. If you
would be interesed in my method I would be happy to e-mail my former
posting to you privately.

Good luck

Rob Goodale, RPT