HT's

BobDavis88 BobDavis88@aol.com
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 18:32:18 EST

Tom Cole writes:
>  If I were to put it into a sentence, I'd say that HTs are an acquired
taste.

Tom,
For me the question isn't if it's an acquired taste: yes it is, as is ET. A
better question might be, "Is the taste worth acquiring?" or perhaps, "Can HTs
help me to hear the music in a new way?"

Our chapter also tried a couple of HTs. Frankly, it's been long enough that I
don't remember which ones, or the literature we tried out on them. However, I
do remember our reactions. We did try some Beethoven & Chopin, among others,
and played extensive selections (maybe a half hour). At first, the reaction
was focused on the new dissonances. However, as we gave up our old concept of
the pieces, the music took on quite a vitality. Actually, we're quite used to
hearing dissonance used structurally. Listen to the beats in a major (or
minor) second. As long as the dissonance resolves, everybody's happy.
Temperament dissonances are just used in a different way, and take longer to
resolve.

I still tune my home piano in ET: it suits the range of literature I play, but
I respect HTs and would be happy to tune one on request. I don't think there's
anything wrong with having a favorite performance or artist or temperament;
it's just seems an unnecessary loss if we don't stay open to new (old) ways of
hearing.

Bob Davis