softer hammers

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts tkeenan@kermode.net
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:56:07 -0800

List--

I guess anybody who has been to one of Wally Brooks's workshops on tone
building has seen the trick of using a medium-sized pair of vise-grips
(with the teeth ground off the jaws) to pinch the shoulders of the
hammers.  You set the spacing of the jaws about 2 mm less than the
thickness of the hammer, and then squeeze on the shoulder till it locks.
This breaks up the lacquer a little bit, resulting in more resilience and
power and a somewhat softer initial tone. He does it practically
routinely with most of his hammers (not in the top couple of octaves,
though).  I have found it to be a very quick and effective technique, and
have never overdone it by mistake.  I generally start with a very mild
pinch, and adjust the vise-grips til I get the effect I am looking for.
This is not a substitute for 'real' voicing. It just gets you in the
ballpark a lot faster.

Tim Keenan
Terrace, BC