damper regulation

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 22:41:02 EST

>Last year I tuned a 20-year-old Wurlitzer spinet, then removed the
>action to tighten the rear screws, replaced and checked all and went
>home.
>     Today I returned to tune the piano and noticed some of the dampers
>barely clear the strings in the upper bass and lower tenor.  I don't
>recall this being a problem before, unless I just missed it.  Is it
>possible that removing and replacing the action caused the problem?  Am
>I overlooking something, or should I just regulate the dampers and be
>done with it?  I'm not very skilled at that yet, especially on spinets.
>     Your input will be appreciated.  Thanks!
>
>Clyde Hollinger (yes, I'm an RPT but not very long yet)

Clyde:

You don't mention if the dampers are not clearing when you depress the pedal,
or when you play the notes.

IF they are not clearing when you depress the pedal, you can make a small
adjustment with nut on the pedal bar.

If this is happeniong witht he notes being played, it could be because you
tightened the damper flage screws. This does have an effect on how they come
away from the strings, and you might have to regulate them, either with the
spoons, or the damper wires. Another thing to look for is  lost motion. You
need to make sure there isn't any. If there seems to be a lot, before turning
all those capstan screws, make sure the soft pedal rod is in the right place,
and not pushing the hammer rest rail too far forward.

Hope these suggestions help

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis