HT's (Ad Nauseum)

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:21:02 EST

<< Tom, could you do something for me? If the piano is still in the Valotti-
Young, could you sit down with the Blumenstuck by Schumann, and play through
it very slowly? When it sounds like "offal", could you analyze for me which
intervals are bothering you the worst, and which direction you would move
them? i.e. is it
 a busy fifth (too narrow)? a wide major third (too fast)? a narrow major
third (too slow)? or a series of intervals like consecutive thirds or sixths
which is  too uneven?
  Inquiring mind would LOVE to find out!
  Best,
  Susan>>

This was a very good question, Susan.  I find it intriguing that you two
seemed to be bothered by the opposite ends of what is different about the
HT's.  Usually, it seems, most technicians don't like any of the rapidly
beating intervals that are faster than those in ET.  Some are bothered by
tempered 5ths.  Some are bothered by what they perceive as "dull" 3rds.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin