Kimball Clicks

Thu, 19 Mar 1998 08:08:51 -0800

Philip,

Worked on these "pianos" for years, garbage.

Anyway, the only "fix" that ever seemed to be more
than most temporary was to replace the neoprene with
buckskin.  Felt cuts too quickly.  I also tried Corfam on
a couple, but that did not last all that much better than the
original neoprene.  Hmm - maybe shoe sole leather...
still a little noisy, but would last better, perhaps.Probably
more work than the piano is worth, but not hard to do, either.

These make great coffee tables, or dry bars.

A fair wind, and a following sea...

Best.

Horace

At 09:56 AM 3/19/1998 -0800, you wrote:
>  I'm working on a Kimball La Petite grand (about 8 years old) with a
>Pratt-Read MU7 action. This is a compact (ie; cheap) action with a
>clicking problem. Instead of a jack regulating button, this action has
>just a screw resting on a neoprene square glued to the whippen. Over
>time, the thin screw sinks into the neoprene. This throws off the
>jack-to-knuckle alignment and causes a loud click when the jack pops out
>of this depression. This occurs on every note. I can pull off the
>neoperen and reverse it, but expect the same problem again. There seems
>to be no room for a button on the regulating screw. Anyone have any
>ideas?
>
>Philip Jamison
>West Chester, PA

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT