Nothing too Deep

George Gilliland lgd@epix.net
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:19:12 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for your reply. Was this piano an import, or an older U.S. market piano?
Have loose pins been reported on this list frequently on 20-year-old Yahama
grands (both Japan market and U.S. market)?

I'd love to find a Baldwin six-footer in that price range, but there just
don't seem to be that many out there. I used to dislike the Yamaha sound,
but have since grown to like the cleanliness of it, which makes long
practice much less tiring on the ear. I've found all older American grands
I've tried especially clashy and high in overtones. Good for performing,
maybe, but not for my living room.

Thanks again,
George:

>This topic has been discussed on the list before, but it is good to repeat the
>warning again. Used pianos from Japan are not good for the American market.
>Because the humidity in Japan is so much higher, and constant, than we have
>here in the US,  they dry out, and cayuse all sorts of problems.
>
>Case in point is a Yamaha C3 I just tuned for a customer last week. He bought
>the piano from a Yamaha dealer two years ago, and the pins are slipping all
>over the place. Apparently the dealer knows there is a problem with this piano
>because they never return his calls to give him his second free tuning.
>
>Although they piano can be repaired if I put in a new pin block and strings,
>the customer isn't too happy about it, since he paid $7500 for the piano, and
>now has to spend another $3000 for a new pin block.
>
>My advice, as a piano tuner with 22 years experience, is to stay away from
>Yamahas and Kawais imported from Japan. Instead, for the same money, you can
>buy a 20 or 30 year old American made piano, which is still considered in its
>prime, and will give you many years of enjoyment before needing any major
>work.
>
>Willem Blees  RPT
>St. Louis

Little Garden Design