devil's advocate..Montal

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 19:21:12 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard:

It sounds like he is starting about the same as the Marpurg I which will
give you evenly ascending M3rds, but mostly pure fifths. I was once
suspected of tuning Marpurg instead of EQ. Steve Brady is the one who
caught me when he was the president of the Phoenix Chapter. He was kind
and generous and did not bring me up on charges.

You made one comment about the 3rd-6th test where you said that if the
3rd and the 6th were the same then the included 4ths would be narrow.
IMHO, the 4th would be pure even with an uneven inharmonicity balance
because the same test partial is involved in all three intervals. for
example, if you were testing the A3-D4 4ths, with the F3-A3 3rd compared
with the F3-D4 6th, the coincident partial where the beats first occur is
at A5 for all three intervals. Making the 6th beat 1 bps faster than
the beat of the 3rd is our standard test for a 4th which should usually
beat 1 bps.

Jim Coleman, Sr.