historical et (Long)

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 16:22:34 EST

<<  I don't think that there's a single tech on the list who EVER tried to say
that the older composers-- Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, Clementi, Beethoven,
Schubert, Mendelssohn, Chopin, etc,-- used ET. That is NOT the issue.  >>

Oh yes they have said as much and it is very much the issue.  You believe what
you want to believe.  I still don't believe most people can yet tune a real ET
although there are many more now than 20 years ago.  It's not that I think ET
is "wrong", it's just that it is really mostly a concept or a goal that is
rarely acheived but widely believed in.  When it is acheived, it is perhaps
not the wrong choice, but probably not the best one, so I believe.  When it is
believed to be acheived but it is really Reverse Well, that's where the big
problem is.   Those who believe their RW is ET believe with the greatest faith
I have ever witnessed.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin