Anyone have experience with smoke damaged pianos?

Dave Swartz dms2000@PIONEERPLANET.INFI.NET
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 16:41:47 -0500 (EST)

Hi List,

        Allow me to address some perceptions regarding smoke damgage.  Wim
and Ed, I mean no offense using your posts...I'm here to help.

Wim wrote:
>>Smoke does have acid that causes strings to rust. Although it might not effect
>the srings now, in about 10 years the acid will eat through the strings which
>will cause them to break.

        It is true that the acid nature of smoke will cause oxidation.  The
idea though that in 10 years or so the acid will eventually eat through
would make sense at first thought but isn't true.  The research done by
Allstate Insurance shows the acidic effects take place the first 18 hours
after the incident occured.  I've tune many pianos which had obviously been
in a fire situation 20 years ago and longer...the piano's pitch could be
raised and fine tuned.  Now, I'm not recommending that nothing be done with
the strings or even restringing. Just wanted to address thought.

Ed Foote wrote:
>>There is the very real possibility that this piano is history. The effects of
>the acidic nature of the smoke will show up over the next year, as centerpins
>corrode and freeze, glue joints begin to fail, and strings begin to break.
>     All that you see is not all that is affected,  I will just caution you to
>go carefully here and make no promises for the pianos future integrity.

        Absorbed odor in hammer felt will not change tone.  Excessive
particals of carbon (note: odor bearing particles) will change tone to a
minimal degree (note: minimal at best).  Important factors which effect the
odor level and amounts of smoke residue:

1.)     Substance burning
2.)     Oxygen levels at time of fire
3.)     Duration of the fire
4.)     Temperature and penetration of the fire
5.)     Piano' location in regard to air currents
6.)     Extiguishing process (water? foam? etc.)

Smoke odors are easily detected and apparent when both temperature and RH
are high.

The restoration companies which Wim refers to use what is called an Ozone
Chamber.  (Please note:  Many restoration companies admit they are
inadequate in the area of effectively cleaning a smoke damaged piano and
will call us).  Ozone is an olfactory desensitizer (it will fool your
smelling sense).  All smoke odors are not oxidizable nor are all oxidizable
at the same rate.

Two major considerations when using ozone is:
1.)      The number and types of burning substances
2.)      The length of time the fire was burning.

Ozone is a poor pentrator.  Ozone destroys latex and rubber and is
ineffective removing odors resulting from burning synthetics such as
plastics and synthetic textiles.
Ozone has a very pungent odor...ah, smells so fresh...but give it a week and
a hot humid day...guess what...odor is still there!

Ozone has a hort half-life (15-45 minutes).  Ozone in high concentrations
can be toxic.  Should not be used with moisture in the air...O2 + 03=
Hydrogen Peroxide (known to be corrosive...any piano parts come to mind?)

So, don't just include the piano with a bunch of other furniture.  The
results are quite poor in the long run.

I could write much more on this topic and am in a coursework for
technicians.  This is a large project, taking a bit of time.  If I may be of
further help, please call or email.

Dave Swartz, RPT
IICRC Odor Control Technician
dms2000@majesticpiano.com