How do I find these things? (was vintage Steinway)

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Tue, 24 Mar 98 23:52:36

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998 21:59:07 -0600 (CST), Keith McGavern wrote:

>If it's the typical Steinway brass rail with dowel inside, yes.  And no, I
>didn't have to drill through the brass.  I used a 1/16" bit to aid in
>removing the broken let-off regulating screw that I could no longer grip
>with small vise grips, then drilled out just a shade less that the diameter
>of the brass hole diameter, then doweled it, then redrilled a hole in the
>dowel to accept the new let-off regulating screw.
>
>Keith A. McGavern
>kam544@ionet.net
>Registered Piano Technician
>Oklahoma Chapter 731
>Piano Technicians Guild
>USA

Keith and all,
	Thanks for responding to my posts of late.  I appreciate the
insight!  I'm starting to think that with more than a half dozen
screws now broken that it may be wise to replace the rails.  I spoke
to the customer today and his attitude is to do whatever it takes.  I
love customers like this.  I called him to keep him informed and he
really wants me to fix it since his wife has an attachment to it and
they can write off any repairs on taxes because she plays
professionally.  It really is a beautiful rosewood specimen too!
Anyway,  Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase these rails
and what general procedure I might use to install them?  I called
Steinway today and they never returned my call.  Is there anyplace
else that I might find them?
	 BTW, I remember someone posting a comment about, is it
(Gloria?), at Steinway.  They said that she was always so pleasant
and kind.  Are we talking about the same person here?  Perhaps the
comment was tongue in cheek.  Each time I've called lately she just
seemed to be annoyed.   I promise ,I was nothing but kind to her.
	What would the list think is the point at which these rails
should be replaced?
Since I have this trouble with the letoff rail, should I replace the
others as well?  The wippen rail has also experienced 2 broken screws
already. (I,m afraid to try anymore).  The hammer/damper rail is the
only one in which the screws didn't break when turned.  The brass on
that rail is, however, split.  Quite puzzling! Which way to go?  What
do you think?
					Thanks very much for the help
all!,
					Greg Newell