wichita

ETomlinCF3 ETomlinCF3@aol.com
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 11:10:45 EST

You ask a fundamental question of taste.  Yamaha wants quick rise in hammer
after check.  (strong spring tension)  Not enough to boble but enough that it
bothered you.  Good regulation is a compromise.  You can weaken the rep
springs to where at a soft blow as you described it would feel better to you
but the trade off is in fast repetition.  This is the side I want to fudge to.
I believe, as Yamaha, to set those reps with a fast rise... just short of the
string.  Terry Niimi is a tech to listen to.  I have learned a lot from him.
You were blessed to have been in a class with them both.

Ed Tomlinson

<<  I asked Terry how to fix them and He said that it was normal.
 Another tech asked Laroy and he said just about the same thing. I have
 had this problem, mostly on Yamaha's. I play piano a little and this bugs
 me. I am not happy with regulation jobs when this happens, yet, I suppose
 I shouldn't be if the Yamaha guys think it's normal. What say ye, oh men
 and women of the PTG. >>