Your favorite books

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:28:32 -0600

If you could add to the list, but get the correct title and author,  the
book is
	"This busniness of Publishing"   or something to that effect.
I don't remember the author.  But for ANYONE who has played a classical
piece on the piano, this book will set you straight on what the "right
notes" actually /are/was/should be/perhaps intended/publisher's
mistakes/artists re-writes/etc/.etc.
R Moody

----------
> From: Garret E. Traylor <garret@kdn0.attnet.or.jp>
> To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject: Your favorite books
> Date: Tuesday, March 24, 1998 9:30 PM

Dear List:
I am compiling a list of books and music to recommend  to piano
customers with the purpose of helping to  promote and enhance the
appreciation of the piano.

In the past, my customers have shown interest in:

   * Audio -- favorite CD's, tapes ... etc.
   * Biographies
        o The Lives of the Great Composers Harold C. Schonberg
        o Rubinstein : A Life by Harvey Sachs, Donald Manildi
   * History & Criticism
        o Norton Anthology of Western Music : Classic to Modern Vol. 2
          Claude V. Palisca
        o Music in Western Civilization Paul Henry Lang
   * Instruments and Performers
        o The Piano Book : Buying & Owning a New or Used Piano by Larry
          Fine
        o  88 Keys : The Making of a Steinway Piano Miles Chapin, Rodica
          Prato
   * Musical Genres -- blues, classical, popular etc.
   * Recording & Sound  -- home recording studio -- midi, disklavier,
     pianodisk related
   * Reference
        o The New Harvard Dictionary of Music Willi Apel
        o Schirmer Pronouncing Pocket Manual of Musical Terms --
          Theodore Baker / Laura Kuhn (Editor)
   * Theory, Composition and Performance -- instruction, songbooks,
     theory etc.

A few of the books listed above I used while in college. What books are
you using at your College or University? Do you have a special book(s)
that you would like to add to the list? Is there a book(s) your
customers have asked about or recommended to you?

No list is too small.  If you wish,  feel free to post to me privately
at traylorg@EqualTemperament.com.  After a week or two, I will send it
back out to the list -- then, you can share it with your customers or
colleagues too.
Sincerely;
Garret
--
"One who does not read has no advantage over one who does."