Spring fever (or feverish springs)

dpitsch dpitsch@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 00:23:27 -0700

I understand that Horowitz wanted his rep spring set very strong.  On a very soft
blow the hammer can be heard to "bubble".  Listen to his recordings and it is
there.  I also heard that the muting felt put in the duplex sections was removed
throughout the piano, creating some real audible ...  let's see ...  "sounds?" or
is that "noises"!  Apparently this artist thought strong rep springs did give him
faster repetition.  Either that or he liked the "kick back" feel.