Your favorite books

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 07:55:35 -0500

Garret E. Traylor wrote:

> Dear List:
> I am compiling a list of books and music to recommend  to piano
> customers with the purpose of helping to  promote and enhance the
> appreciation of the piano.

Hello Garret,

I'm especially interested in the AUDIO section of your list.
Introducing piano students to a variety of piano styles might inspire
them to continue their lessons by going in a new direction.

Like most of us, I was raised on classical standards - DWEM.  While we
may have been introduced to Bill Evans, Thelonius Monk, Marcus Roberts
and Dr. John along the way, most piano students have not.  Let's throw
in some vocal work - Mose Allison, Shirley Horn, and David Frishberg.

I would suggest an AUDIO section that lists piano music by style.  Then
find recordings that are still in print featuring solo piano where
possible.  If transcriptions of recordings are available, so much the
better.

Good Luck