Sohmer

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:29:07 -0500

Bob, my experience is that string winders make strings to their
convenience, not to the betterment of the piano.  I kept wondering why
the new bass string I installed sounded worse than the ones I took off.
I then realized that string makers shorten the copper winding from 5/8"
to 1.25 inches.  Inharmonicity increases by the 4th power of the
distance unwound.

I charge the price of a tuning for rescaling a piano.  I wound need the
speaking length (in mm prefered) and the length of the tails from inner
bridge pin to inner surface of the hitch pin in the bass.

It may be necessary to put wound strings in the middle section to smooth
out the curves.

In order to control the string winding process I send a set winding
specifications listing the core size, the wrap size the starting and
ending points.  This is the only way I have found that I get what I
want.

	Newton