tech fees

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 21:48:40 -0500

Wimblees wrote:

> Yes, different locallities should charge different fees, and each individual
> should charge according to their own needs. But you should charge the same
> rate for your labor in the shop, driving on the road, or in a customer's home.
> And you need to be paid the same rate for your time, regardless of your
> activity, be it tuning, replacing bridlestraps, or regulating a concert grand.

I would say that your NET charge should be the same for whatever you
do.  If your shop overhead is greater than your field overhead, perhaps
you should charge more.  Set your rates so you will be willing to do
whatever work comes your way without profitability being an issue.

However, you could accept a lower net for work that fills out your
schedule unless you really are booked solid doing nothing but high
profit work.  I accept less to do some large churches and nursing homes
because I can fit them into my schedule at my convenience.

Rates deserved to be fine tuned on a regular schedule. . . . just like
pianos.