Touchweight

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 20:43:59 +0000

> Date:          Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:41:38 -0500 (EST)
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> From:          Dave Swartz <dms2000@PIONEERPLANET.INFI.NET>
> Subject:       Re: Touchweight

Check friction first!  Centers, capstans, keypins/bushings,
repetition lever/knuckle (what kind of condition are the
knuckles in?) and rubbing parts.  Downweight minus Upweight
divided by 2 gives you the friction.  Around 12 to 15 grams is
OK...70 grams downweight minus 30 grams upweight divided by two
gives you friction of 20 grams.  Friction problem there!  If you
get friction in line then hopefully you will still have a high
upweight which will mean weight can be removed from the hammer.
Big Geometry problems are not too likely in a Yamaha?  I'm sure
the List will let me know about that...You might measure the
distance from the front of key to the middle of the balance pin
and from the middle of the balance pin to the middle of the
capstan.  Should be 2 to 1 ratio...I use a 1" belt sander to
remove weight from hung hammers.  Work on the tails first with a
sample or two but the most bang for your buck comes from the
sides of the hammer...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA