Screws pulling through hinge

Fri, 27 Mar 1998 09:54:14 -0800

Bill,

You might try the so-called "particle board" screws. These are generally available at well
equipped hardware stores. They are not brass, but they do have what is called a "zinc &
yellow" plating, i.e., zinc with a yellow chromate wash. From a distance this finish
resembles brass. In this case you'll probably not be able to tell the difference. The
advantage being that the heads are a bit larger, the threads are a bit sharper and deeper
-- i.e., less likely to strip out in the end-grain of the lid panel -- and they are not
likely to break. If this doesn't work, try McFeeley's (sp?) or one of the other specialty
woodworking catalogs and look for "cabinet" screws. These also have larger heads.

-- ddf