Varnishing new tuning pins

John Freeman jef@iquest.net
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 10:53:34 -0500

Carl Root wrote:

> ETomlinCF3 wrote:
> >
> > Jerry go with the Satin Spar Varnish.  Clean all the holes with the rifle
> > brush first then dip the brush in the varnish till it wont drip to bad.  Swab
> > about three holes then re-dip.  Should do the trick.  Wait a day or two for it
> > to dry.  Some on the list will dip the pin then pound but I don't think that
> > is the way to go.  Have done many as discribed below and all feel good to this
> > day.
>
> This is not how I learned it.......
>
> First, the varnish.  The product that got this started was sold by Otto
> Trefz, Phila, PA, now gone.  It was a LOW OIL varnish.  If it's not low
> oil,  I wouldn't use it.
>
> You swab just the top third or so of the hole, not the whole thing.  The
> idea is to temporarily soften the wood fibers to reduce the damage from
> driving the pins.  You don't get the benefit if it dries first.
>
> I suggest you try this test.  Drill two identical pilot holes into hard
> maple for two identical large lag screws.  Swab the top of one hole,
> leave the other dry.  turn a screw into each hole.  See if you can feel
> the difference in torque initially.  Wait a few days and test torque
> again.

Trefz recommended drilling a 15/64 hole for a 2/O pin.  I couldn't
beleive it till I tried it, but it worked fine.  When I used it, I put a
drop on the pin and rotated it on the bushing.  Pin drove in easy and
worked fine for as long as I serviced the piano.

John Freeman
Professional Piano Technician 50 years
Muncie, Indiana