aftertouch

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 10:48:26 -0500

At 08:59 PM 3/27/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Thereshould just enough key travel and/or aftertouch to trip the jack and
rotate it far enough
>out of the way so that the tip of the jack would almost, but not quite,
fully clear the
>knuckle on a very soft blow when the key bottomed out. The returning
knuckle would
>complete the job of pushing the jack out of the way.
>Del

I've seen jacks which get buried into the stop felt at the front of the
balancier.
I order to get the jack to work as described above the key dip would need
to be
6-7mm. This piano could stand to have the capstans moved forwards (and
possibly
a longer knuckle radius) and have the cushion position reset. Unfortunately
this
would seriously cut into their vacation fund, so they live with it.

When the key is slowly depressed, you can feel the jack stopping the key short
of the front rail punching. This extra distance is felt as being springy.

Jon Page