aftertouch/front rail punchings

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 08:50:17 -0700 (MST)

Hi David:

I believe I set my aftertouch the same on sharps as on naturals. I think
this is in contradistinction to setting the keydip the same on both. Are
we understanding this the same? If so, good.

Now I wonder if your understanding of the fact that the dampers of the
sharps end up closer to the upstop rail than the dampers of the naturals
do, is the same idea as mine? (ie when the damper upstop rail is set just
barely above the peak of the rise of the sharps dampers, there is more
clearance between the peak of the rise of the naturals dampers and the
upstop rail)

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS I worry a little more about the compression of the balance rail
punchings than about the compression of the front rail punchings. This
is where I think one is more likely to lose aftertouch, unless of course
one is using very thin punchings to start with on the balance rail. In
that case, there is a tradeoff with the noise problems.  does this make
sense to you?  JWC