tech fees

Roger Jolly baldyam@sympatico.ca
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 17:33:55 -0800

Wimblees wrote:
Hi William,
           I can't disagree with what you are saying, however I think I
am addressing the ethical side of the issue of fees, with some
assumptions. There are many very competent tuners in the market place,
not so many fully competent techs. The poor consumer does not have the
knowlege to even ask the right questions, with regards to the persons
experience or competence, and ends up paying for sub standard trial and
error workmanship.
 On the other side of the coin, we all have to gain experience some how,
and some where, and also get rewarded for our efforts. The point I am
making is that, if I routinely get paid $60-$70 per hour for jobs that I
am skilled at, should I be paid the same hourly rate for those that I am
tackling for the first time. I think not!
 For instance, pin block replacement. On some pianos its a relatively
straight forward.
On Stienways and Heinzmans, because of blind doweling, flang and case
fitting, the job has more glitches and is quoted at a fixed and fair
market rate. This is fair to the consumer. My first attempt I probably
earned, $10 to $20 per hour, thats counting the time I spent scratching
my head. Now that I have half a dozen of this type under my belt, the
hourly rate is nearer $50.
 The balance that I'm injecting is strictly a professional and moral
issue. Be FAIR to yourself and the consumer. We all have to learn some
how, but at who's expence? In our profession, thats unregulated, the
poor consumer is literally walking into a mine field.
As PTG professionals it could be worth while for us to form a table of
fair time for a given task. e.g. Major reg with hammer reshape 8hrs.
With string mating, leveling, and voicing, 12hrs. This would be useful
to the people that are trying to gain experience, to have a time quality
goal to strive for, and to know what would be a fair quote to the
customer, the hourly rate would be then based on a factor of the local
tuning rate.
 I hope this helps to clarify my position.
Regards Roger