pianotech-digest V1997 #709

dpitsch dpitsch@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 00:38:30 -0700

What do you mean that a piano requires 3/8 dip?  Is this the factory
specs?  Or is 3/8 what the piano requires in it's present state to function
best?  Where do you measure the 3/8"?  At the front of the key or at the
front rail pin?  Are you regulation from a set hammer blow distance, then
arriving at 3/8 dip; or is the dip being set first, then making a hammer
blow distance that will give good aftertouch, assuming let off is correct.
By the way, I assume you are speaking of a vertical piano, as most grands
need more than 3/8 dip to function.  Please clearify your question a
little.