restringing

Michiel van Loon mvanloon@xs4all.nl
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 14:16:41 +0200

Leslie,
My bass string supplier (Barth Jan Kooy in Groningen The Netherlands, the
best bassstringmaker in Western Europe) had no problems with Krauss
hitchpinloops of 8mm two years ago.
But this is how I would solve your problem.
Place the string on the bridge, guide it between the pins pull until the
copper touches the first pin, then give small kink where it touches the
hitch pin. Clamp a 7mm(9/32") drillbit, tuningpin, or steel toothpick in a
vice , wind the string 1 time around the drillbit until it crosses itself
perpendicular, then warp the wire around itself three times at a right
angle. Wind the coils as tightly as possible. Snip off the end, leaving
about 3 mm long. (the last part is as Athur Reblitz describes it for normal
loops on page 98 of the 1976 edition of his famous book.)

Test this procedure first a couple of times with plane wire , on wich you
mark the place of the copper with tape, paint, peanut butter or anything.
When you stretch the string you'll see that the peanut butter will comme
10mm free of the hitchpin.

Subject: restringing