tuning fork pitch

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:36:07 -0600 (CST)

>> Tech tip: To raise the pitch on a tuning fork, remove metal from the
>tips
>> of the fork, to lower the pitch, remove metal from the outside of the
>yoke
>> of the fork.
>>Keith McGavern
>
>To lower the pitch put scotch tape on one of the tines. (near the tip).
>To raise the pitch take it off.  To raise it further put it into the ice
>box. I suppose coctail chiller would work.  Dipping it in alcohol and
>letting it dry only works a little bit if at all.
>Richard Moody

Richard, List,

Clarification on tech tip:
To raise the pitch on a tuning fork that is on the *flat of A440*, remove
metal from the tips of the fork.
To lower the pitch on a tuning fork that is on the *sharp of A440*, remove
metal from the outside of the
yoke of the fork.

The methods you have suggested, Richard, are rather dubious, but
nonetheless inventive.  Rather like some of your signatures.  :-)

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731