separated back

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 07:55:49 -0500

Friends:

One of the schools I serve has a 1980 Everett studio model 1155 piano
which has a separation across the top, probably not more than 1/16 of an
inch.  Doing this repair looks pretty simple and straightforward, but I
have never done this and would like professional results the first
time.  I'm going to have to look at this piano the rest of my tuning
days, most likely.

Please correct any of the following, which outlines what I would
probably do:
1.  Let the tension down (is this necessary?)  2.  Shield the piano
interior from dirt.  3.  Work slow-setting epoxy into the crack as much
as possible.  4.  Pull the top together with 4-5 huge clamps which I
need to buy somewhere.  5.  Remove the plate screws across the top edge,
to be replaced with carriage bolts.  4.  Drill through the entire back
to take carriage bolts big enough to do the job (what diameter?).  5.
Insert and snug up the carriage bolts, remove the clamps, tune the
piano, and that's it (or should I wait a couple days for the epoxy to
work?).

Your help and comments will be appreciated.  Thank you.

Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA