Serial Number Help

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 12:49:41 +0000

Robert Goodale wrote:

> I am doing an evaluation on a 1930s-1940s era Vose & Sons. I cannot find
> a serial numer anywhere on the piano, including all the usual places.
> The plate has not been painted over. Nothing underneath the rim, on the
> soundboard, inside keybed. Does anyone of know any other special places
> where V&S may have stamped a serial number? I would like to get a
> definative date of manufacture.
>
> Thanks
> Rob Goodale. RPT

Rob,
	I have a few Vose & Sons that I service, and the only one I had trouble
finding a serial number, I found by mistake. All of the others were in
the "normal" places,.....pin block, plate, soundboard, front of key
frame. This one piano, had the hardest time finding it. I was there to
replace the lid hinges and when I removed the lid and walked to the
hinge side of the piano, there it was. In broad daylight stamped on the
side of the plate on the outside of the bass section. If I had walked
around to the back of the piano, I probably would have found it the
first time.
	Hope this helps.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service