coils etc.

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 08 May 1998 16:45:52

At 05:29 PM 5/8/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi list and Susan,
>
>I have read this before, but would like to know why, as Susan wrote a few
>days ago, the top of the the coil should ideally pass over the hole on the
>opposite side. What is ideal about this?
>

>Howard S. Rosen, RPT
>Boynton Beach, Florida

Hi, Howard

I've seen this several places, but can't remember where they were; usually
pretty drawings were included. The idea is that the top loop of the wire
should pass over the _bottom half_ of the hole on the opposite side.

If you think about this, it is what would happen if the angle of descent
down the spiral is completely uniform. In 1/2 turn, the wire has descended
a distance roughly equal to half its diameter. In the full turn, it has
descended its complete diameter, and therefore fits snugly against the
previous loop. When the whole coil is tight, this same angle is uniform for
the whole coil, and the wire is taking the shortest path around the pin
that it can, for any given number of turns. This is inherently more stable
than an open coil, or than a coil riding up on one side and down on another.

It's a tiny matter, but it isn't that hard to do; and it looks careful and
uniform, as well.

One must also consider pin height and the path to the counterbearing, which
may affect the angle of departure of the wire from the pin. If the pins are
too high, so the coil is too far off the plate, the wire will want to open
the bottom loop because it has to go down steeply after it leaves the pin.

JMHO.

Susan
Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"I'm glad there are at least some things somewhere that I don't have to do
today."
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant