pitch lowering

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed, 27 May 1998 14:35:15 +0000

Rob,
    Here in Michigan with those great lakes and high humidity I do as
many pitch lowerings as raisings.  I never, especially in the University
would leave a piano sharp as it will drive instrumentalists crazy.  I
don't know how many cents it is, but the A flat-C can beat five beats
per second and be a narrow third when the C is lowered to 523.3. and the
A-flat is left alone.
-Mike
Knocked three of them down this morning.

Rob Stuart-Vail wrote:

> List,
>
> Pitch lowering is something we don't specialize in, here in the northeast,
> but I am running into a whole bunch of pianos that require it.
>
> While I wouldn't balk at leaving a piano 10 cents high in the middle of the
> summer,  I'm finding some of them that much sharp and more,  already.  No
> doubt the mild winters and damp spring weather are responsible for this.
>
> Anyway,  after wasting my time on bad passes (like,  kidding myself that I
> was going to get a piano down to A=440 without a formal pitch-lowering) I
> finally decided to go at it just the reverse of the way I would do a
> pitch-raise, so in this case I  divided the amount sharp of middle C by a
> factor of three,  and did a pass at zero minus that number of cents.
>
> Guess what -  it works!  Of course, you knew this all along, right? 'Course,
> our colleagues in the bayous and 'glades probably do this every day.
>
> I still use a Peterson strobetuner, but I'd be interested in hearing other
> people's comments on what they're finding in the field these days, and how
> the various SATs and Cybers are used to solve the problem.
>
> Rob Stuart-Vail
 instrumentalists crazy.