Chapter Technical

Garret E. Traylor garret@kdn0.attnet.or.jp
Fri, 29 May 1998 21:23:33 +0900

Avery;

I would be honored if you would like to include EqualTemperament.com in your presentation.

------------------- A little background -------------------

Over the last five years or so some very special people in PTG have demonstrated and instilled in me a sense of responsibility to do all I can to help promote the use of the piano.  I believe that the success and growth of the piano begins at home and continually  grows with each new piano
customer.

A recent statistic says that approximately "20 % of our population move every year".  With the world changing so fast more and more people are getting online. It only makes sense for a technician to get a business web site.  Perhaps some technicians think that their "current" marketing and
advertising is getting them all the business they will ever need - then perhaps the internet is not for them. However, if a technician wishes to expand their business, the internet can and will be of help to them.

Avery, it is good that you are spending the time to help educate and expose your peers to the internet. I can say without hesitation what we see today with the internet is  just the surface of a glacier..... not the tip of an iceberg.

For the past two years I have been working on a Business Management degree with the University of Maryland. Among the varied marketing and management classes that I have been exposed to,  I have also had the good fortune to take two specialized classes - one on Web Site design and the other on
Desktop publishing.  EqualTemperament.com  has emerged from these experiences. I hope that the site can serve as a good example for your group.

A few of my observations. Technicians will perhaps want to develop three types of sites - a flat site  or the "Basic Home Page", a specialized or regional site or a Corporate type sites.

   * The flat site or basic one page site is limited to basic core  information. Designed to support the individual or small business, the flat site is the "plankton" of the interest' food web and supplies the basic information people are looking for.
        o Company Name
        o Contact information
        o Service description
        o Location
        o Pricing etc....
        o & various link recommendations.
   * The regional sites build upon the flat sites - supporting  a broader geographical region, interest or subject mater. These sites can be as small as a local community or support a state or region or as large as the world, depending on the breadth of subject matter. For example these sites
     exist to support:
        o PTG members
        o local piano teachers
        o concert listings for the local schools and churches
        o community events
        o local music resources

   * The corporate or multi-national sites offer a corporate type presence. Example: Yamaha.com, Steinway, Kawai, DampChaser etc. These can be very large and complex involving a great deal of effort on the part of sales, marketing, advertising and public relations departments or they can be
     rather small and more closely related to the flat site.

 Costs (my costs)

   * $50.00 yearly domain fee to InterNick
   * $20.00 per month for domain hosting fee at interspeed.net
   * $30.00 per month for local ISP (Internet Service Provider)

Publishing Software - recommend using one of the following (I use FrontPage):

   * Netscape Communicator (Free)
   * Microsoft Frontpage 98 ($80.00)
   * Adobe PageMill (?)
   * Net Objects Fusion (?)
   * Claris  Home Page ($60.00)

Graphics Software:

   * Paint Shop Pro v.5 ($100.00) The new version about as good as PhotoShop!
   * Adobe PhotoShop ($995.00)

Books

   * "Creating Killer Web Sites" by David Siegel
   * "Web Publishing Unleashed (Professional Reference Edition) by William R. Stanek

(*You can order these books through our "Bookstore". Conduct a search on the title and/or author.)

Hardware:

   * Scanner
   * Digital Camera
   * Color printer (to proof your work)

Time

   * Lots of it......
   * I spend about 10 to 15 hours a week working on EqualTemperament.com

I hope this might be of help you.....
Sincerely;
Garret Traylor