Drop action removal

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 20:35:19 EST

In a message dated 12/30/98 12:56:19 PM Central Standard Time,
imatunr@primenet.com writes:

<< I never do it the fast or easy way but have seen those who just place news
 paper between stickers and key bed ( after removal of keys ) and lift out
 wires hanging loose!  News paper is used on top of balance rail pins as the
 action is put back into the piano. No bars or holding device is needed as
 the weight of the action lifts the wires up as the action is set down on
 the back of the key bed. As I said I seldom do it this way but it works
 great, However Never do it with out help within shouting distance.  <G>
 Joe Joss
 > Subject: Drop action removal

 > >It has probably been discussed before, but soon I will have to take out
 two
 > >`drop action' actions out of their cases. Any suggestions for doing this
 > >efficiently? >>

I was taught at Kimball in 1982 that you don't need any tools or other
paraphernalia to get the loose wire drop action out.  Here is what I always
do:

1. Remove pedal rods.
2. Detach grommets from keyforks.
3. Remove all keys.  You can remove each key as you detach the grommetts but I
prefer to detach the grommets, then remove the keys as two different steps.
4. Place the keys in order on the floor or on a table.  There is a way to
stack the keys if you don't have much room.  Having the keys out will allow
you to vacuum and lube the keybed and keys wi a wet or dry spray lube.